When it comes to home renovation projects, the kitchen is often renovated first, as it is considered the heart of your home. There is nothing more fulfilling than turning this space into a safe and functional place for cooking and preparation and aesthetically pleasing space for a hearty meal, good conversation, and family bonding.
As far as kitchen remodeling in London is concerned, you may want to consider installing kitchen floors and cabinets. But which installation should be done first? This is one of the questions typically asked by some homeowners when looking to renovate their kitchen.
In this article, we will go deeper into this question to help you determine whether you should install kitchen floors or cabinets first:
Installing kitchen cabinets first
In most cases, installing cabinets come first before the flooring. Know that floor covering is the surface you see and walk on, where it is usually cut to size and butt up against the cabinets. A minimal gap must be left between the flooring and the cabinets, where it is covered by a baseboard nailed to the cabinets’ bottom. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of installing the cabinets first:
- Wasting no time, effort, and money on ‘concealed’ flooring below the cabinets.
- Experiencing less flooring damages in the form of dents, scratches, or other damages.
- Establishing a permanent footprint between your flooring and cabinets for future renovations.
- Strictly following a renovation footprint for future renovations that leaves no room for customization.
- Cutting your flooring to fit around the base cabinets, making the installation project costly and time-consuming.
- Cornering your cabinets with your flooring materials, making switching built-ins a lot difficult in the future.
Installing kitchen floors first
There are certain design circumstances when you need to install flooring first before setting the kitchen cabinets and appliances in place. Doing so usually boils down to design factors, such as when your total flooring height ought to be elevated and finished higher than normal. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of installing the flooring first:
- Avoiding the need to cut the flooring materials around the framework of cabinets and appliances, which can be tedious and time-consuming.
- Having no difficulty in opting for cabinet replacements in the future.
- Providing a neat appearance and making the chore of installing cabinet quarter rounds unnecessary.
- Wasting your flooring materials if you install floors under your cabinet.
- Having costly renovation when deciding to replace your floors as you’ll have to replace your cabinets as well in the future.
- Having the materials impact the installation order. For instance, wood floors can be affected by the cabinets installed above them, making them easily and quickly prone to wear and tear.
Here at SWO Contracting, we factor in what works for your house and your family’s needs when it comes to a kitchen renovation project to ensure desirable results. Whether you need to install the cabinets or flooring first, our experts will perform the needful to breathe new life into your kitchen!
At this point, we’ve covered the advantages and disadvantages of installing floors or cabinets first for your kitchen renovation. To that end, be sure to consider all the valuable information and weigh in the pros and cons outlined above. Ultimately, seeking the help of a professional contractor can make a difference in your kitchen remodeling project’s overall success!
Are you looking to have a kitchen renovation to install new kitchen floors and cabinets? We’ve got you covered! We’re specialized in high-quality and custom-designed renovations. If you’re looking for general contractors in London for your kitchen project, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!